Re: OT: Seeking Advice on Purchasing a Laptop

* On 2012 23 Nov 05:43 -0600, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 12 nov 12, 12:21:30, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > My backup desktop died and I am thinking of replacing it with a laptop.
> > I am not a gamer but a bit more than a routine user, i.e. occasionally
> > use big programs and am interested in experimenting with Blender.  I
> > want to stick with Debian and have no need of Window$.
> >
> > Touch screen is not essential though I am fond of the touch screen on my
> > HP Touchpad which is modified to run Android.
> >
> > Urgency is not high as I have a full backup of the system.
> >
> > Advice?
>
> Thinkpad. Avoid ATI graphics if possible.

Why?

All of the video cards I have--laptop and desktop--are ATI chipsets of
varying vintage or Intel in IBM/Lenovo boxen (Thinkpads and
ThinkCentres).  I bought an Nvidia board on recommendation for the
Mythbuntu box some years ago.  It was an overheating piece of junk and
is long gone.  I'll go out of my way to avoid Nvidia.

My main desktop has an ATI dual port board that allows me to use
"Zaphodheads" mode and with Xfce have an independent desktop on each
monitor, each with its own workspaces, etc.  I use the open source
Radeon X driver.

- Nate