Re: Outrageous sexism. Was: Re: Mail client, threads, etc...

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:11:08 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 23:28 +0100, François TOURDE wrote:
> > Le 15665ième jour après Epoch,
> > Lisi Reisz écrivait:

> > > That is what is so very offensive.  He thinks that being so rude
> > > about just over half of the population is _funny_. As apparently
> > > do you.
> >
> > Yes, me too. Because I'm a french native, I consider joking is a
> > good way to avoid the toxic "politically correct" way of life.
> >
> > Please, Lisi, could you put me on your "kill-file", because there is
> > chances that I post jokes sometimes.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Point_of_View_Gun

I too is from Europe as my mailaddress surely reveals, and I must say I
find this entire subject a bit off. Allow me to expand on that.

Being Germanys northen neighbour we tell jokes about the Nazis all the
time, but I know from experience that the Germans don't think they are
appropriate. Not telling the jokes around Germans is not some
political correct thing we do; it's out of respect for them.

The same goes for this subject in my opinion. Just because it's OK to
use a specific type of humor were one is from, does not mean it can or
should be used everywere, and it have nothing to do with political
correctness.

Even though I've been reading this list for almost a year now, I have
only posted two or three times due to the above, and how hard it can be
to write neutral in English. I think the best thing that can happen
from all of this is that we all learn a little, and it's not really a
solution to block out certain people or sign off (IMHO of course).

Besides, and not to be rude or harsh or anything, but isn't jokes
off-topic anyway?

From the cold North, Titanus