SD card formatting problem

I have a 32GB sd card that I have been trying to use as a transfer disk for a 19GB file. Each time, the file copies (cp command) to 4GB and stops. I tried to reformat to vfat with the same results. The df command shows the card has 32GB. I thought that vfat was only good to 4 GB but the card came formatted to vfat. Any suggestions? Can the card be formatted to ext3? Would that help? Is the card the problem? I am using a SanDisk USB card reader, model SDDR-113 which is supposed to handle 32GB cards. Debian Squeeze and Wheezy systems gave same results.

Gary R.