Re: SD card formatting problem

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Gary Roach <garyroach@verizon.net> wrote:
> I have a 32GB sd card that I have been trying to use as a transfer disk for
> a 19GB file. Each time, the file copies (cp command) to 4GB and stops. I
> tried to reformat to vfat with the same results. The df command shows the
> card has 32GB. I thought that vfat was only good to 4 GB but the card came
> formatted to vfat. Any suggestions? Can the card be formatted to ext3? Would
> that help? Is the card the problem? I am using a SanDisk USB card reader,
> model SDDR-113 which is supposed to handle 32GB cards. Debian Squeeze and
> Wheezy systems gave same results.
>
> Gary R.

Hi Gary,

fat limits you with 4GiB files. So, if you don't want to format, you
can use split to break the file. Something like:

$tar czpvf - /path/archive | split -d -b 4096M - myfile

The only problem is that you need to cat the files back to extract.

$cat myfile* > onebigfile

or

$cat myfile* | tar xzpvf -

Cheers,
Beco

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

--> . <--

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it
everyone you love, everyone you know..." (Carl Sagan, 1934-1996)