Re: Password problem confirmed as repeatable - was [Re: Newbie password problem(s)]

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 06:31:50AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I've been a "computer user" since before Mr. Torvalds was born. I
> just never had reason to have contact with *nix. Even when working
> for DEC I was much more into analog than digital.

I see.  I guess you were a VMS or some mainframe user...

As for apt-zip:
 http://alioth.debian.org/projects/apt-zip
 http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/apt-zip.html
 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=apt-zip

It seems somewhat stalled.  You may wish to takeover project to update
it to be compatible with current apt repository.  The last update was
2008.

> >By the way, we have some basics for use as:
> >   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
>
> Thanks for reminding me. I haven't used it as, being on a dial-up
> connection, online manuals are inconvenient. Is it available as a
> PDF or as a single HTML file?

For installation, you should start with Install Manual:
  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/installmanual
  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
  PDFs are available.
  If you use 64bit PC, you want amd64 version.
  It is good idea to read this if you really wish to tweak.

It is available as Debian Package.
  http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/debian-reference.html
  apt-get install debian-reference-en
  This is more about Unix shell focused.
  Once you install it, you can see it via browser.

(I know I used to have PDF.  Building PDF for non-English via XML->XeTeX
is still not so easy.  That will be my next project.  Maybe I should
enable just for English and French first which I know is easy.)

Another good source is THE DEBIAN ADMINISTRATOR'S HANDBOOK
  http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/debian-handbook.html
  apt-get install debian-handbook
  General guide.

> Is there a similar volume of preseeding, especially for those of us
> who insist on installing without the availability of an internet
> connection.
> [I'm in rural SW MO on the end of a 56k dial-up connection ;]

I see.  You got no speed limit for automobile but speed limit for
Internet.  56k should be practically impossible for tracking
testing without apt-zip.

If you have access to fast network somewhere, download DVD-1 at least.
That should give you decent system. (There are 2 more DVDs to be
complete.)
  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata

All you need is few file images.  You do not need network to install DVD
or CD.  (I checked how big archive is, it seems DLBL image is only
one... so guess)

If you do not install large desktop application and keep it just with
consoles, tracking testing may be possible with direct 56k connection.

Regards,

Osamu