Re: Password problem confirmed as repeatable - was [Re: Newbie password problem(s)]

Osamu Aoki wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 01:53:47PM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
Terho Uotila wrote:
Unless you want to try very minimal system you probably want shadow
passwords.

I do not understand.
Going by text displayed during the installation  I had the
impression that shadow passwords were for those overly paranoid
about supposed incremental security advantages. My machines will
effectively be the ultimate in single user systems. I will be the
only one with physical access. They will have only occasional
restricted access to the internet over a dial up connection. It is
very unlikely that there will ever be a LAN among my machines. I do
not see that Debian even claims that shadow passwords *could* be of
any benefit to me ;/

1. Use of shadow is almost standard these days.

2. If your are attacked while you are using user account to access
    internet, the use of shadow password gives you one thin but extra
    layer of protection to protect your root account after your user
    account is hacked.

3. Disabling shadow does not give you much speed or space.  Configuring
    system to odd configuration is usually not good idea since it is
    tested less.

Chuckle.
One does not usually associated the word normal/standard/typical with me.
My whole goal is to do an install that I know is on the fringe.
That is why I bought a used laptop which will _*NOT*_ be connected to the internet for by experiments.

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 11:04:21 -0600