Re: startup: separate /var partition hoses /run, shm (shared memory)?

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 03:22:40PM +1100, Igor Cicimov wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:
>

> > What must one do to make /run mount appropriately on startup if one has
> > a separate /var partition? What I mean, why I ask:
> >
> > I suspect this is related to having a separate /var partition, since,
> > once the box is booted and I'm logged in, I see that
> >
> > * /run is symlinked to /var/run
> >
> Since /run is meant to replace all temporary filesystems in RAM I would
> expect this to be other way around, ie /var/run to be symlinked to /run. So
> /run should be a tmpfs and /run/shm and /run/lock part of it. Also /dev/shm
> should ne symlinked to /run/shm as well.

Yes, this is correct.  I'm not sure quite how Tom's system ended up
with the links the wrong way around, but that's definitely something
which needs fixing.  One situation which can cause it is if your
system was upgraded inside a chroot environment (i.e. not live), but
that's unlikely.

rm /run
mkdir /run
reboot [the scripts will fix up everything else at boot]

You can move stuff around and fix up the directories and links by
hand, but I wouldn't advise it since these directories all contain
the state of the running system, and many of them are kept open
by running services.

Regards,
Roger

--