Re: A good GUI MUA? - Was: Gnome3 and Wheezy.

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 01:43 -0500, Neal Murphy wrote:
>> On Thursday, November 15, 2012 01:09:31 AM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> > Shortcuts to resize the view do
>> > work for Thunar, Xfce's file browser. Such shortcuts depend to the
>> > applications you're using, the view shortcuts are at least common for
>> > all web browsers I know.
>>
>> I've found <CTRL><mouse wheel> works on a number of apps to scale the fonts
>> and/or entire window content, in KDE, Gnome and (now) XFCE. If I can replace
>> kmail, I can drop KDE completely (even though I might miss kmahjonng and
>> kpatience, a tleast for a while).
>
> I'm looking for a good GUI MUA that allow me to use one source for the
> mails from different Linux installs on a Linux multi-boot machine.
>
> I had good luck using different versions of Evolution sharing one
> maildir, but one install ships with Evolution 3.6 and this version
> completely doesn't work on my machine. When I try to use Evolutions
> maildir with Claws or Kmail it doesn't work.
>
> I'm willing to abandon this maildir and to start a new "source
> directory" to share mails.
>
> Evolution already replaced Mozillas (Thunderbird, Iceweasel, Seamonkey
> etc.), since sharing mails is much easier to set up, when using
> Evolution, at least it was easier, I don't know if it's possible today
> to share emails very easy using Mozillas.

One solution (which I use) is to run an imap server off your maildir,
then access the mail using any IMAP-capable MUA.  That should solve your
incompatible-storage-format problem.  I use dovecot as my imap server,
and access it using gnus.  There are several howtos on setting up
dovecot.

I also use notmuch to index the maildir, and I'm considering just
switching to the notmuch emacs mode for reading email.

--
regards,
kushal