Re: Gnome3 and Wheezy.

* On 2012 14 Nov 17:47 -0600, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2012 22:23:44 Worrier Poet wrote:
> > I understand
> > that there's a branch of Gnome 2 still under development, but not by the
> > Gnome project people.
>
> Mate.  And I understood that many of the developers had simply jumped ship.
> There is also Cinnamon, but I haven't quite gathered what exactly that is.

I happened to try Linux Mint 14-RC last night with the Cinnamon desktop.
The best way for me to describe Cinnamon is that it is a GNOME2
workspace shell built from GNOME3 components.  Much of it is quite
familiar and I was able to figure out work spaces and such in a few
minutes (the key is Ctl-Alt-Up and then adding the workspaces extension
to the panel and configuring keyboard shortcuts).

I did not try the MATE version.  So far it seems that only Linux Mint is
the distribution with a choice of these two projects (I've not looked
extensively at other distros).  Cinnamon desktop is a Linux Mint project
as I understand it.  Hopefully it will find its way into Debian as a GS3
alternative after Wheezey is released.  Over time I suspect it will gain
a following.

- Nate