Re: Where is GRUB2's pointer to LVM LV / filesystem containing /boot?

On Mon, 28 May 2012 06:59:26 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Dan B. <danb@kempt.net> wrote:
>>
>> I think I want to move /boot to the RAID1 array I originally intended
>> for it (so that booting into GRUB2 depends only on the /boot RAID1
>> array, and not also on the integrity of my LVM volumes).
>>

>> After I copy/move /boot to the RAID1 array,
>> 1. how do I tell GRUB2 to look in the new place? and 2. how do I see
>> the setting in the bios_grub partition (or wherever)
>>   to try to confirm that I got things right before I reboot and hope
>>   GRUB2 and my system boot back up?
>
> It should be straightforward. Move "/boot" to a separate array, mount
> it, add it to "/etc/fstab", run "grub-install /dev/sdX and "grub-install
> /dev/sdY" where these two disks correspond to the raid components, run
> "update-grub", and check that the UUID on the "set root ..." line in
> "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" corresponds to the UUID of your new "/boot".
>
> (You can also check that the raid and lvm modules are loaded and that
> the "root ..." argument points to the "/" lvm.)

I've had no luck whatsoever with wheezy putting /boot on LVM on RAID.
the new wheezy kernel seems to be too big for the usual boot tools.  Make
sure you have a spare /boot elsewhere, just in case you end up needing it
if your new one fails.

-- hendrik