Re: partitions - primary vs logical and bootability

On Nov 10, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Charles Blair wrote:

  Thank you very much for your reply.  I think I will post
a restatement of the question.  I would have thought that
a dual boot of windows 7 and debian would be a common
enough problem that there should be something about it
somewhere, perhaps in the installer instructions.

1) Make your Linux partition an "everything" partition (root, boot,
usr, var, home, and so on...), in Primary slot #4.

  Just to get more detail on how this would work:
I would create a primary partition using all the available
free space, described as / and bootable?  This would work
even though there isn't swap space?

  I must admit I'm afraid to tinker with the windows section,
so that your other idea of backing up one of the windows partitions
(don't even know how I would do that) and doing things so I
have only two primary winows partitions and
have one primary debian partiton for / (bootable) and one extended
partion for swap, /home, etc.  Actually I must be misunderstanding
your idea, since I think swap is somehow incompatible type from /,
/home, etc.

If you've got enough RAM, you don't absolutely have to have a swap partition. If you're short on RAM you can make a swap file in the root directory and use it. E.g.:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap bs=1M count=512
    mkswap /swap
    swapon /swap

To back up the Windows partition, you probably want an external (e.g. USB) hard disk to put the backup image onto.

Take a look at the "clonezilla" utility as described at
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/clonezilla-live
for ideas.

Rick