partitions - primary vs logical and bootability

   I am trying to set up a dual-boot windows 7 / wheezy.

   The installer shows me 3 primary ntfs partitions,
presumably for windows7.

   I have been able to resize to create freespace.
As I understand it, / must be bootable, which seems
to mean it must be a primary partition.  However,
when I do that, the installer shows the remaining
free space as "unusable," and won't let me create
logical partitions for swap, /usr, etc.

   I'm sure I'm overlooking something basic.  Thanks
for your patient help.