Re: Advice on system purchase

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Worrier Poet <Worrier.Poet@comcast.net> wrote:

> At the same time, I have reservations about supporting AMD -- or more to
> the point their subsidiary, NVidia -- when purchasing hardware. It seems
> to me that Intel has been a better friend to FOSS than its competition.
> I run my systems without proprietary software or firmware.

Nvidia is an independent company with a market cap. of $7.46B
AMD has a market cap. of $1.46B

Nvidia is not and could not become (in the foreseeable future) an AMD
subsidiary. I suppose the other way around could happen (still
unlikely though).

ATI is the graphics card company that was bought by AMD some years ago
(they merged though, ATI does not exist as a company or even a brand
name anymore). Though AMD has not contributed as much to the graphics
stack as Intel, they have been pretty good. And they release actual
specs which Intel doesn't do. Certainly they are far more friendly to
FOSS than Nvidia.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers