Re: Advice on system purchase

On 10/29/2012 03:06 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Worrier Poet <Worrier.Poet@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> At the same time, I have reservations about supporting AMD -- or more to
>> the point their subsidiary, NVidia -- when purchasing hardware. It seems
>> to me that Intel has been a better friend to FOSS than its competition.
>> I run my systems without proprietary software or firmware.
>
> Nvidia is an independent company with a market cap. of $7.46B
> AMD has a market cap. of $1.46B
>
> Nvidia is not and could not become (in the foreseeable future) an AMD
> subsidiary. I suppose the other way around could happen (still
> unlikely though).
>
> ATI is the graphics card company that was bought by AMD some years ago
> (they merged though, ATI does not exist as a company or even a brand
> name anymore). Though AMD has not contributed as much to the graphics
> stack as Intel, they have been pretty good. And they release actual
> specs which Intel doesn't do. Certainly they are far more friendly to
> FOSS than Nvidia.
>
> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

Ah, yes. You're quite right. I was having a serious senior moment,
there. (They are about about the only kinds of moments I have these
days.) From your explanation I gather that you have correctly
interpreted my rambling and have understood that I was thinking that it
was Nvidia which had been purchased by AMD.

And so it falls to me to do the appropriate Emily Litella bit and
say..."Never mind!"

But I still do appreciate Intel. And it's probably because of the crap I
went through over graphics subsystems. (I've had my share of trouble
with ATI graphics, too, but nothing like the suffering over Nvidia
graphics.)

And -- come to think of it -- I appreciate how easy it has been to work
with Intel wireless and Ethernet, too.

Nonetheless, I can now see that I should at least be considering AMD
when I'm looking for processors.

Thanks for the considerate nature of your correction. I actually
deserved a solid smack with the clue-by-four.

Regards,
the worrier