Re: please put not all into multiarch!

On 10/21/2012 5:00 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Du, 21 oct 12, 21:42:45, Claudius Hubig wrote:

I have to admit I did not look into that any further, but, yes, the
dependencies are rather screwed up: ia32-libs:amd64 depends on
ia32-libs-i386, which is only available in the i386 architecture (and
then able to pull in other i386 packages).

Yes, because you have to enable multiarch before upgrading ia32-libs.
This is documented in the wheezy Release Notes:

http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#ia32libs

I did that. Multiarch in Wheezy, such as it is, is reasonably sane. In sid, the dependency tree has some impossibilities. They have been taken care of, primitively, for devs working on multiarch, but you can't get there from here if you want to do it on a Wheezy system with a small selection of sid packages, if any of those package are in multiarch and are i386 packages.

Specifically, sid's wine-bin:i386 could not be installed without updating ia32-libs, which cannot happen ordinarily. However, if you set synaptic (for instance) to prefer experimental, ia32-libs is now installable, but (on this particular system of mine) it pulled in about a dozen experimental packages and was uninstallable without them.

I let it happen, and everything seems to work now, especially wine, but it will be some months before the devs priority will shift in earnest from releasing Wheezy to working on Jessy and making multiarch a desirable thing. I am over the hump, now, and all I have to do now is practice patience, but for newbies this thing will be traumatic if they go through it now. I recommend based on my own experiences not to tackle this now unless absolutely necessary, and to be patient, because I am sure that, in the fullness of time, a smoother transition will be worked out, and it really isn't necessary for most people.