Re: Newbie password problem(s)

On Thu 18 Oct 2012 at 11:32:49 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Brian wrote:

> >>I don't know for sure (never used this option), but this sounds like you
> >>left the root password blank during install.
> >
> >Given the message from sulogin, this is highly likely. In fact, a
> >certainty. You are given a root shell so it is not surprising apt-get
> >works.
> >
> >>                                              In such cases the root
> >>account is locked and the user create during install is given sudo
> >>powers.
> >
> >The sudo package is installed and the user added to group sudo. If
> >"apt-get install gdm3" installed gd3 this is either a misobservetion
> >or the discovery of a massive security problem.
> >

> If you are referring to what I reported about lines displayed when
> booting in rescue mode, they were copied accurately. As I had no
> means to cut-n-paste between my test machine and my e-mail machine I
> was copying it character by character in my one finger hunt-n-peck
> typing mode.

My final sentence refers to your writing 'Successful "apt-get install
gdm3" using user password.' which does not occur in your account of
booting in recovery mode. Without knowing what the command you used was
and what you meant by 'using user password' it is a little difficult to
know what is going on. All I can say is that the command 'apt-get
install gdm3', when given here from a non-root account, does not install
gdm3.