Re: 32bit binaries on 64bit system?

On 10/17/2012 10:56 PM, Curt Howland wrote:
Dear Debian-user, newly installed AMD64 Squeeze.

I've decided to try installing Debian in 64bit for the first time, and
restoring my home files has exposed a 32bit legacy.

"wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32"

So I installed all the ia32libs, but the error is occurring. Clearly
the "ELF class ELFCLASS32" is not being recognized as having
libraries available.

This is one small binary, but if I can get ELFCLASS32 recognized for
one little binary, then it will be available for any others, too.

Suggestions? My Google-fu reveals answers for particular applications,
but nothing which makes it system-wide.

Curt-

Is a 64 version not available? Wrong elf class occasionally means binary incompatibility, e.g., running Ubuntu binaries on a Debian system. Is the source available? You can try rebuilding from source.

This is set to become less of a problem with multiarch, but multiarch is not ready yet. However, you can try this:

$dpkg --add-architecture i386

along with making sure your other infrastructure is 32-bit friendly. Mixing 32- and 64-bit libraries leads to this, and it crops up a lot in Java, so make sure that is in order. Flash may cause this error, installing the 64-bit version actually installs both versions, and should solve it if it's Flash.

Let us know when you find the solution, your experience may help others.