Re: Newbie password problem(s)

On Wed 17 Oct 2012 at 21:05:00 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 17 oct 12, 12:22:48, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > When rebooting into "Rescue Mode", the last two lines displayed are:
> > sulogin: root account is locked, starting shell
> > root@localhost:~#
> >
> > At this point I'm allowed to do "apt-get install xyz" - no password
> > required.
> >
> > Comments, questions, suggestions?????
>
> I don't know for sure (never used this option), but this sounds like you
> left the root password blank during install.

Given the message from sulogin, this is highly likely. In fact, a
certainty. You are given a root shell so it is not surprising apt-get
works.

>                                              In such cases the root
> account is locked and the user create during install is given sudo
> powers.

The sudo package is installed and the user added to group sudo. If
"apt-get install gdm3" installed gd3 this is either a misobservetion
or the discovery of a massive security problem.