Re: Debian Etch(Kernel 2.6.24) Can't insatll on Ivy bridge platform

On 10/17/2012 8:18 AM, richie.jf.liu@foxconn.com wrote:

First off, I own a couple of your socket AM3 M61PMP-K motherboards.  The
CPU temp doesn't report correctly, which is not critical.  Besides that
they work great and I'm pleased with them.

> When we install Debian Etch(Kernel 2.6.24) on Intel Ivy Bridge platform, it
> pop out warning message: "no mount CD-ROM can be found". If we install this
> OS with Sandy Bridge platform, it works fine. but now, we need update to
> Ivy Bridge platform. we are facing this problem now. Any suggestions? Or
> anybody knows if kernel 2.6.24 support Intel Ivy Bridge platform? Thanks in
> advance and any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Etch was EOL many years ago.  Lenny came next and it is EOL also.
Squeeze is current, and Wheezy will be released within 6 months or so.
Try the Squeeze and Wheezy installers.

2.6.24 is way too old for Ivy Bridge.  A little Googling will tell you
that various fixes for Ivy Bridge were still being submitted in Linux
3.5, around June/July 2012 IIRC.

Apparently there are significant differences between Sandy and Ivy
Bridge.  I'm not an Intel hardware engineer so I can't say for sure.
Given that Foxconn is an Intel licensee I would think you could contact
Intel engineers directly and ask this question.

What I can say for sure is that you shouldn't be working with EOL
operating systems and kernels on the newest chipset platforms.  That's
always a recipe for problems.

--
Stan