Re: Wally Lepore

Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:

> considerable lengths to try and get him there.  I have even been told that I
> should be ashamed of myself for telling him to just grab the bull by the
> horns and do it.

That is a misunderstanding.  What I've been trying to say is that
there's someone who's trying to actually do what we apparently always
want people to do, i. e. read the documentation and really try to learn
things and then ask good questions.  In this case, the purpose of that
seemed to be to get things done the right way, avoiding mistakes that
can create difficulties and having to install again --- which can be
more complicated than starting with a blank disk because you'll want to
keep your data.

That's something I found delightful, and I can understand when someone
wants to know in advance what's supposed to happen when they do this or
that.

And our reaction to that is like "yuck, you're asking too many questions
and we're getting tired of that so just try it out and make mistakes and
end up installing again like we all did".  There's something wrong with
that, imho.

It's just like:
  "What happens to the data on my /home partition when I
   run mkfs on it?"
  "Just try it and see what happens and if you don't like the result,
   just install again.  What do you have to lose?"

If I was Wally, I would disconnect the other disk before installing
because otherwise, something could go wrong or I could make a mistake
and lose what's on that disk.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch