Re: Wally Lepore

On Ma, 16 oct 12, 10:21:00, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2012 10:06:30 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > [changed the subject since it has nothing to do with Wally]
>
> My request does have something to do with Wally, in fact everything to do with
> him.  It is his emails that are generating this enormous number of private
> emails.  He sends private copies to people, and everyone else then just
> clicks on "reply all".  I have belonged to this list for a good many years
> and this has _never_ happened before.  It is specifically Wally's emails that
> I am asking people not to send me.  The list exists for that.

In my experience the amount of CCs increases with the amount of own
posts. Yes, depending on who participates, it may be more likely to get
CCs in one thread rather than others, but I don't think it's quite fair
to point out Wally specifically.

> > Unfortunately the CoC is ignored a lot in this regard. You could set up
> > a filter in Gmail to archive or delete such mails if you are 100% sure
> > you don't need them.
>
> Yes, I know.  But I don't actually want to filter the emails about and from
> Wally, I just don't want the deluge I am getting of private emails.  The list
> exists for that, and I do filter the list to be separate.

Sorry, I made unfounded assumptions about your mail setup. If you use
Gmail exclusively[1] it might be enough to add the "Skip Inbox" action
to your already existing debian-user filter, but my point is: it should
be possible to create or adjust existing filters so that you filter out
only the annoyances.

[1] I'm receiving all list mail to a completely different account, to
avoid a Gmail quirk.

I generally don't recommend technical solutions to social problems, but
in this particular case I don't see any other viable solution.

> I can only assume that you have not tried to help Wally and been deluged in
> this way.

In this particular case I don't think Wally needs help, just a bit more
confidence in his abilities ;) but I have received lots of CCs in the
past as well.

Kind regards,
Andrei