Re: Reason to NOT install from online repositories

Richard Owlett wrote:

> Not all of us have convenient access to a high speed
> internet connection.

  yep, same here, Dialup...  which is a real
step down from DSL.

> I can have limited access to "high" speed access by carrying
> one of my laptops to the local library. I don't find
> downloading more than a live-CD feasible due to bandwidth
> limits they set to provide maximum usage for maximum number
> of users.

  i take the USB stick to the library and
that is much easier to download and change
than burning CDs.

> Even the live-CD doesn't give me a functioning system as it
> does not include a dialer for an analog modem. I solved
> _*MY*_ problem by purchasing the 8 DVD set of install disks.

  that is what i did when i needed to start from
scratch again.  once i was installed and working
then i've been following testing since using the
modem most of the time and only going into the library
with the USB stick for the really large files (over
32Mb).

  otherwise i fire it up later when people won't
complain so much about not being able to call and
let it run when i'm snoozing or reading.

  songbird