Re: OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On 10/15/2012 10:25 PM, Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 13:51 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
>>> Hi Lisi, Brian, Lee, Joe, Neal, Dom, and Ralf, [snip]
>>
>> Since you've got knowledge about computers, it will be easy for you to
>> switch to Linux. You should take a look at "shell globbing" and take a
>> look at some beginners guide for "shell scripts". To handle Debian
>> packages by a GUI I recommend to use Synaptic.
>>
>> There are three easy to remember shell commands that are very helpful:
>>
>> top
>> killall -9 NAME_OF_AN_APPLICATION
>> hwinfo
>>
>> Instead of top there are derivatives of top you might prefer and instead
>> of hwinfo there are different other useful commands, but IMO top and
>> hwinfo are very helpful for a beginner, I'm still using them today.
>> killall -9, perhaps with some additional switches is a command that's
>> important for every user.
>>
>> Assumed something wicked does happen, run top, it might show you what
>> happens. If there for example is a process busy, can't be stopped
>> anymore, a killall -9 NAME most of the times will finish it.
>>
>> hwinfo gives information about hardware.
>>
>> You also should take a look at "common linux shortcuts" some are equal
>> to Windows others are for Linux only.
>>
>> COMMAND_NAME -h or --help
>>
>> and
>>
>> man COMMAND_NAME
>>
>> does show information, but can be cryptic for beginners. Getting good
>> results for Internet investigations and understanding --help and
>> man(pages) given time will become easy for you too.
>>
>> You should find an editor you like, that can be used without a GUI. IMO
>> the easiest editor is mcedit, I was a vi(m) user in the past, but
>> switched to mcedit a while ago.
> Hi Ralf,
>
> That was very useful. Thank you very much. But I'm still stuck on
> where to start. Are you saying that all these commands are used
> strictly in "Terminal"?
>
> Also, I'm still searching for how to log in as 'root' to fix my GRUB
> menu boot. Grub is not recognizing my windows 2000 drive in a
> dual-boot configuration set-up.
>
> Thank you

On Linux you actually almost NEVER need to log-in as root. Instead you
open a terminal with your GUI (while being logged in as normal user) and
then BECOME root by issuing "su" and entering your root password. The
shell will then be a "root-shell" -- all commands you enter there will
automatically be executed as root.

All of the commands suggested and the "fdisk -l" are to be entered in a
terminal. Some of these (like fdisk -l) need you to be root in order to
work correctly. (On my system fidsk -l as non-root does not prodocue any
output).

If you really want to log in as root (although it is not required,
especially in your case) you can go to a virtual terminal via
[CTRL]-[ALT]-[F2] and log in for a command-line only session (you may
return to your graphical environment via [CTRL]-[ALT]-[F7]).

But most of this has already been suggested... you only need to find it
in the various mails you got for reply.