OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 13:51 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Lisi, Brian, Lee, Joe, Neal, Dom, and Ralf, [snip]

Since you've got knowledge about computers, it will be easy for you to
switch to Linux. You should take a look at "shell globbing" and take a
look at some beginners guide for "shell scripts". To handle Debian
packages by a GUI I recommend to use Synaptic.

There are three easy to remember shell commands that are very helpful:

top
killall -9 NAME_OF_AN_APPLICATION
hwinfo

Instead of top there are derivatives of top you might prefer and instead
of hwinfo there are different other useful commands, but IMO top and
hwinfo are very helpful for a beginner, I'm still using them today.
killall -9, perhaps with some additional switches is a command that's
important for every user.

Assumed something wicked does happen, run top, it might show you what
happens. If there for example is a process busy, can't be stopped
anymore, a killall -9 NAME most of the times will finish it.

hwinfo gives information about hardware.

You also should take a look at "common linux shortcuts" some are equal
to Windows others are for Linux only.

COMMAND_NAME -h or --help

and

man COMMAND_NAME

does show information, but can be cryptic for beginners. Getting good
results for Internet investigations and understanding --help and
man(pages) given time will become easy for you too.

You should find an editor you like, that can be used without a GUI. IMO
the easiest editor is mcedit, I was a vi(m) user in the past, but
switched to mcedit a while ago.

Regards,
Ralf