Re: HD Permissions Problem

On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 12:23 -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I have edited /etc/fstab and / to account for all of the
> drives.  I have two problems for which I would like solutions:
>
> Problem #1.  How do I give users on the system access to the drives?  At
> this point only root has access privileges.

Please paste the output of

cat /etc/fstab

and

ls -hAl /DIR_OF_THE_HDD_MOUNT_POINTS

You need to make the users member of a group that has permission (e.g.
add a group "users"), IOW the mount point dirs might have to be changed
from

"root root" to "root users" (assumed you add a group "users" before
doing this).

Or change permission for "others", IOW allow "rwx" for "others".

> Problem #2.  One of the drives is formatted in the reisefs.  The system
> doesn't recognize that fs.

Even if you shouldn't like Google, please google for "Debian reiserfs"
or similar, there are tons of hits that explain how to do it. OTOH
reconsider to backup the data, reformat the partition(s) and restore the
data. The coder of reiserfs got 15 years to life imprisonment for
killing his wife. The code isn't maintained anymore.

Regards,
Ralf