Re: Partition Scheme for installing Debian Squeeze

Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:

> Wally, I really do think that you should just stop worrying and install.  It
> doesn't matter if you make mistakes, you can just reinstall.

That's probably what he is trying to avoid.  Having to re-install isn't
really fun; it's a waste of time and shouldn't be needed, so why
encourage it.

> go wrong.  If you ask 10 people how to partition your system, you will get 10
> different answers.

We have the practical numbers and some experience to provide.  The OP
told us what he has available and what he plans to use his computer for,
so it's really easy to suggest something reasonable with which he won't
need to keep installing.  The 20 different answers from 10 different
people might be exactly what he's looking for since all the installation
and partitioning guides are all theory.

> questions.  And once you have installed you will be able to look at your
> directory tree.

Exactly: We can look at ours and help out.  There's someone who seems to
go about installing Debian in a systematic and informed way, reading the
available documentation, trying things out and asking good questions on
the appropriate mailing list.  And now we seriously tell him "ah screw
it and just install and if it doesn't work out right you do it again and
again and again until you might get it right eventually"?  I would be
ashamed to tell him that.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch