Re: Partition Scheme for installing Debian Squeeze

Hi, Wally!

On Wednesday 10 October 2012 02:22:38 Wally Lepore wrote:
> Based on the above, can a directory/partition be named  /usr/local  ?
> and  /var/mail ? I thought a directory can have only one name (i.e.
> /usr -or-  /local -or-  /var -or-  /mail).

Directories usually have subdirectories.  Let's take /usr/local.  There are
three directories specified here.  / , usr and mail.  That is: root (not to
be confused with root's home directory), the "root" of the directory "tree";
usr which is a sub-directory of / , and local which is a subdirectory of usr.
And those are directories, which are not the same thing as partitions.

Wally, I really do think that you should just stop worrying and install.  It
doesn't matter if you make mistakes, you can just reinstall.  You have
another windows drive which could just be swapped in, so nothing crucial can
go wrong.  If you ask 10 people how to partition your system, you will get 10
different answers.  There are arguments that can be adduced to all the
choices that you suggest you face.  And then there is LVM ...

Is this going to be a production system?  If not, and you are just going to be
learning, then you can reinstall repeatedly to find out the answers to your
questions.  And once you have installed you will be able to look at your
directory tree.

Lisi