Re: Partition Scheme for installing Debian Squeeze

Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> writes:

> space I have allocated to each partition? As you can see I have an 80
> gig drive (total) that I'm installing debian too. Should I leave some
> 'free space' in the event I want to add another directory in the
> future?

Sooner or later, you might add more disks and then you have the space
you use for /home free on the 80GB one.  I left some space free because
I didn't have use or need for it and it remained unused for almost three
years until I wanted some more space for squid.  Three years is quite a
bit of time for that when you have only 80GB to begin with.

Since your disk is small, you're probably better off not to leave free
space and just use it for /home instead.  If you do leave it free, you
might end up mounting it somewhere under /home anyway.  That mainly
makes it more awkward to make backups and doesn't give you as much
additional space as you would wish and is just annoying.

Hard disk prices may go down a bit in a while, and you might be able to
get 3TB disks for under $100.  You're talking about maybe 10GB here to
leave free, which is kinda out of proportion compared to both an 80GB
and a 3TB disk :)

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch