Re: problems with remote install using ipmi serial-over-ip

Chris Davies wrote:
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
Well, I've been trying to do a remote install onto a server (Supermicro
X8SIE-LN4F motherboard) - booting via PXE, and using a serial-over-IP
terminal provided by the IPMI board.
The serial-over-ip terminal, sort of works.... - I can get the installer
to load, and give me a boot> prompt, and a simple CR gets it running.  I
can go all the way through, and it sure seems like I've partitioned the
drive, installed all the software, and so forth, but.... when I restart,
the system hangs.  I'm guessing it might be a grub install problem, but
now I'm stuck...
Does the IPMI give you a virtual CD/DVD drive, too? My experience with
remote installations on Dell kit a couple of years ago was that the
drive order changed after installation, and the boot code wasn't happy
with that.

I used to need to edit the kernel boot line, along with the hd(0,0)
stanza, and then also fix up /etc/fstab. (That last has been handled
somewhat better by referencing the root partition by label or uuid,
but back then it wasn't done that way.)

Yeah... it sure does seem to be a grub issue.

Finally managed to figure out how to get into the installer's rescue mode, over a remote serial connection. It turns out that the installer, when accessed over a remote serial connection, forgets its kernel options when going into rescue mode

i.e.:
the installer netboots (PXE) with boot options loaded from /srv/tftp/debian-installer/amd64/boot-screens/txt.cfg:
console=ttyS2,115200n8 earlyprint=serial,ttyS2,115200n8 priority=low

when the boot: prompt comes up on the remote serial console

boot: CR #works just fine
boot: rescue CR # fails miserably
boot: rescue console=ttyS2,115200n8 #works just fine

Sigh....

Off to figure out what grub-install messed up!