problems with remote install using ipmi serial-over-ip

Hi Folks,

Well, I've been trying to do a remote install onto a server (Supermicro X8SIE-LN4F motherboard) - booting via PXE, and using a serial-over-IP terminal provided by the IPMI board.

Took a bit to get it mostly working - DHCP, TFTP, PXE, net boot all work.

The serial-over-ip terminal, sort of works.... - I can get the installer to load, and give me a boot> prompt, and a simple CR gets it running. I can go all the way through, and it sure seems like I've partitioned the drive, installed all the software, and so forth, but.... when I restart, the system hangs. I'm guessing it might be a grub install problem, but now I'm stuck...

- typing anything at the boot> prompt, except a CR (e.g., boot parameters, expert, rescue) leads to a hang - so I can't do either of the obvious troubleshooting steps:
- going into rescue mode and playing with grub
- reinstalling, but using an SSH connection instead of the serial-over-IP

And, just for the heck of it, I tried putting *|rescue/enable=true into the append clause in /srv/tftp/debian-installer/amd64/boot-screens/txt.cfg - where the installer picks up its boot parameters - but it seems to be ignored|*

Kind of wracking my brain here.  Any thoughts on what I might try next?

Thanks,

Miles Fidelman