Re: problems with remote install using ipmi serial-over-ip

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Well, I've been trying to do a remote install onto a server (Supermicro
> X8SIE-LN4F motherboard) - booting via PXE, and using a serial-over-IP
> terminal provided by the IPMI board.

> The serial-over-ip terminal, sort of works.... - I can get the installer
> to load, and give me a boot> prompt, and a simple CR gets it running.  I
> can go all the way through, and it sure seems like I've partitioned the
> drive, installed all the software, and so forth, but.... when I restart,
> the system hangs.  I'm guessing it might be a grub install problem, but
> now I'm stuck...

Does the IPMI give you a virtual CD/DVD drive, too? My experience with
remote installations on Dell kit a couple of years ago was that the
drive order changed after installation, and the boot code wasn't happy
with that.

I used to need to edit the kernel boot line, along with the hd(0,0)
stanza, and then also fix up /etc/fstab. (That last has been handled
somewhat better by referencing the root partition by label or uuid,
but back then it wasn't done that way.)

Chris