Re: What is the procedure for patching the Debian kernel ?

Stephen Powell,

Thanks. That looks great ! So I'm not the only one ...

"I have found that the documentation for kernel building in Debian is
spread out over several different sources.  Some of these documents
are out of date.  Furthermore, there are a number of small but
important steps that are often left out."

So I'll study your document and get back to the list if I have further problems.

BTW, if you are interested, I started my own guide here -
http://stargate.djbarney.org/node/188
Currently it's in an unfinished state but I hope to bring it up to a
standard that is useful to ordinary users such as myself. I am a
musician who needed to patch the kernel in order to get a piece of
music hardware working.

I also intend to lobby Debian to improve their official kernel build
documentation as it looks like it has been left in a non-updated state
and needs (I'd say fairly urgent) review.

Barney Holmes