Re: Storage server

On 9/8/2012 11:49 AM, Veljko wrote:

> Well, it did sound a little to complex and that is why I posted to this
> list, hoping to hear some other opinions.
>
> 1. This machine will be used for
>   a) backup (backup server for several dedicated (mainly) web servers).
>   It will contain incremental backups, so only first running will take a
>   lot of time, rsnapshot will latter download only changed/added files
>   and will run from cron every day. Files that will be added later are
>   around 1-10 MB in size. I expect ~20 GB daily, but that number can
>   grow. Some files fill be deleted, other will be added.
>   Dedicated servers that will be backed up are ~500GB in size.
>   b) monitoring (Icinga or Zabbix) of dedicated servers.
>   c) file sharing for employees (mainly small text files). I don't
>   expect this to be resource hog.

Stop here.  Never use a production system as a test rig.

>   d) Since there is enough space (for now), and machine have four cores
>   and 4GB RAM (that can be easily increased), I figured I can use it for
>   test virtual machines. I usually work with 300MB virtual machines and
>   no intensive load. Just testing some software.

You can build a complete brand new AMD dedicated test machine with parts
from Newegg for $238 USD, sans KB/mouse/monitor, which you already have.
 Boot it up then run it headless, use a KVM switch, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186189
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148262
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136771
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121118

If ~$250 stretches the wallet of your employer, it's time for a new job.

> 2. There is no fixed implementation date, but I'm expected to start
> working on it. Sooner the better, but no dead lines.
>    Equipment I have to work with is desktop class machine: Athlon X4,
>    4GB RAM and 4 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 7200rpm. Server will be in my
>    office and will perform backup over internet. I do have APC UPS to
>    power off machine in case of power loss (apcupsd will take care of
>    that).

Get yourself an Adaptec 8 port PCIe x8 RAID card kit for $250:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103231

The Seagate ST3000DM001 is certified.  It can't do RAID5 so you'll use
RAID10, giving you 6TB of raw capacity, but much better write
performance than RAID5.  You can add 4 more of these drives, doubling
capacity to 12TB.  Comes with all cables, manuals, etc.  Anyone who has
tried to boot a server after the BIOS configured boot drive that is
mdraid mirrored knows why $250 is far more than worth the money.  A
drive failure with a RAID card doesn't screw up your boot order.  It
just works.

> In next few months it is expected that size of files on dedicated
> servers will grow and it case that really happen I'd like to be able to
> expand this system.

See above.

> And, of course, thanks for your time and valuable advices, Stan, I've read
> some of your previous posts on this list and know you're storage guru.

You're welcome.  And thank you. ;)  Recommending the above Adaptec card
is the best advice you'll get.  It'll make your life much easier, with
better performance to boot.

--
Stan