Re: Storage server

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 09:43:57PM -0400, tdowg1 news wrote:
> >> I'm in the process of making new backup server, so I'm thinking of best
> >> way of doing it. I have 4 3TB disks and I'm thinking of puting them in
> >> software RAID10.
> >>
> >> I created 2 500MB partitions for /boot (RAID1) and the rest it RAID10.
> >
> > So far, so good.
> >
> >> LVM will provide me a way to expand storage with extra disks, but if
> >> there is no more room for that kind of expansion, I was thinking of
> >> GlusterFS for scaling-out.
> >
> > Let me suggest a different approach. It sounds like you're
> > planning on a lot of future expansion.
> >
> > Get a high-end SAS RAID card. One with two external SFF8088
> > connectors.
>
> I would 2nd the suggestion of investing in a high-end SAS RAID card.  I
> would also avoid any kind of software raid if at all possible, at least for
> partitions that see a lot of I/O.  I guess /boot would be ok, but I def
> would not put my root or /home under software raid if I had a discrete
> controller.  However, you did say this is a storage/backup server and not a
> "main" machine... so I don't know... just something to think I guess.
>  Software raid is free, so if performance becomes an issue you can always
> upgrade :)
>
> There are a lot of discrete hard disk drive controllers on the market.  If
> you go this route, try to be sure that it supports SMART passthrough so
> that you can at least get _some_ kind status your drives.
>
> --tdowg1

If it was my call, I would go with high-end RAID card as well. But in
this case I have to work without them. However, I've heard that
software RAID is good for one thing. You can rebuild it in any other
machine. If you use hardware controller and it dies, you have to buy
same of very similar one to be able to save your data. Was I
misinformed?

Regards,
Veljko