Re: Storage server

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 01:43:47PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Veljko wrote:
> > >
> > > This is Debian. Since 1997 or so, you have had the ability to
> > > upgrade from major version n to version n+1 without
> > > reinstalling. You won't need to reinstall unless you change
> > > architectures (i.e. from x86_32 to x86_64).
> >
> > But, isn't complete reintall safest way? Dist-upgrade can go wrong
> > sometime.
>
> If you follow the release notes there is no reason you shouldn't be
> able to upgrade from one major release to another.  I have systems
> that started out as Woody that are currently running Squeeze.
> Upgrades work great.  Debian, unlike some other distros, is all about
> being able to successfully upgrade.  Upgrades work just fine.  I have
> upgraded many systems and will be upgrading many more.
>
> But it is important to follow the release notes for the upgrade for
> each major release because there is special handling needed and it
> will be fully documented.
>
> Sometimes this special handling annoys me because the required manual
> cleanup mostly seems unnecessary to me if the packaging was done
> better.  I would call them bugs.  But regardless of the small
> packaging issues here and there the overall system upgrades just fine.
>
> Bob

I've acctualy never did distro upgrade, but allways thought that clean
reinstall is the safest option. Somehow I've thought that something can
allways go wrong with big version changes and that kind of things in
production environment is a big no-no. I stand corrected. This is, after
all, Debian and is expected to be highly stable.

Regards,
Veljko