Re: no input from microphone (Re: Do I still need alsa if I have pulseaudio)

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 01:06:30PM +0200, lee wrote:
>>> Having that said, alsa doesn't fully work in that the microphone input
>>> of the on-board sound card is dead ever since audacious did something to
>>> it. Pulseaudio won't fix that, and better don't ever run audacious ...
>>
>> Start a new thread, and no doubt someone will be able to help fix the
>> problems with your microphone input.
>
> The "start a new thread" request always kills the discussion. Let's see
> what happens when I make a new one out of this ...
>
>> Hint: many people are probably running audacious *and* successfully
>> using their microphone.
>
> I don't think it's fixable.
Sure it is. You even say it used to work. So unless that part of the
chip physically failed, it can be fixed.

> This on-board card shows up in lspci as
> "Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF100 High Definition Audio
> Controller" and is recognised fine by alsa. Sound output of that card
> works, and I can turn up the mixer settings for the microphone all I
> want and there is no input whatsoever from the mic. I have another card
> installed and the same mic works with the additional card, so the
> problem is not the mic. It used to work before I did something with
> audacious which gave me a warning that it might not be a good idea --- I
> don't remember what that was. Since then, the mic input of the card is
> dead and I don't use audacious anymore. Any ideas how to fix this?

Can you post the sound card info from "lspci -v" (PCI ID, etc) ? And
please post the contents (if an) of /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc.

I believe you said you are not using PA, are you also not using
any other sound server, like Jack or the ancient aRts or ESD?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers