/var/log/faillog

Hi,

how come that failed logins aren't recorded in /var/log/faillog?  The
file exists and is from July this year.  When I run "faillog -a", it
lists entries like:

lee             0        0   01/01/70 01:00:00 +0100

There have been failed logins, though, and logging them is enabled in
/etc/login.defs.  Interestingly, I can run "faillog -a" as ordinary user
and get the same results as when running it as root.  That arises
privacy concerns.  Is it supposed to be like this?

--
Debian testing amd64