Re: /var/log/faillog

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 15:47:15 +0200, lee wrote:

> how come that failed logins aren't recorded in /var/log/faillog?

I tend to review "/var/log/auth.log" for success/failed logins.

> The file exists and is from July this year.  When I run "faillog -a", it
> lists entries like:
>

> lee             0        0   01/01/70 01:00:00 +0100

I get similar results. Maybe is that it needs to be configured first
somehow :-?

> There have been failed logins, though, and logging them is enabled in
> /etc/login.defs.  Interestingly, I can run "faillog -a" as ordinary user
> and get the same results as when running it as root.  That arises
> privacy concerns.  Is it supposed to be like this?

Yes, it can lead to privacy concerns. You can change the file permissions
to be more conservative (read-write only by user-group which is set to
"root") when running over a multi-user system.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón