Re: Virtualbox 64 bit guest option is missing

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:17:25 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 29. August 2012 schrieb Camaleón:

(...)

>> > May dmidecode be able to step in there?
>> >
>> > It shows the DMI / SMBIOS tables.
>>
>> I never have had a positive experience with dmidecode because it
>> provides untrustworthy output :-/
>
> In my experience it depends heavily on the BIOS.

Having an updated version of the utility it can also help but yet again,
the results are not always the expected.

(side note: in the Spanish mailing list we've been recently discussing
about this issue... a user was a bit perplexed for the results of "lshw" -
which uses dmidecode- that showed his micro only had enabled one of the
two cores while the rest of the tools said otherwise)

> But for this ThinkPad T520 the output appears to be pretty accurate for
> me. On the FTS Esprimo workstation at work the output appears to be
> quite lacking of detail.
>
> Whether everything is correct? Well…
>
> But since it somehow seems to relate to the BIOS I thought it might help
> here.

It can be also useless -even if dmidecode is right- because the current
BIOS revision could be not exposing the VT-x capabilities if they were
disabled on purpose by the manufacturer (but can be enabled by updating
the BIOS firmware).

I think this is one of those specific/complex situations where I prefer
to contact the motherboard manufacturer because only they can tell you
about the board options and capabilities.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón