Re: How upstart-job is performing in debian system ?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 3:22 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 12:27 +0530, bakshi12@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I have gone through some online docs on ubuntu derived upstar-job mechanism and
>> its simplicity has drawn my attention. Same time the apparent incompatibility with
>> sysv-init is also there. Has anyone is using that in running debian system. How does it
>> work ? Does it need to rewrite all /etc/init.d/${scripts}  ?
>
> Half-OT: A note for GNOME users :)
>
> If you're a GNOME user, be aware that upstream plans to make a hard
> dependency to systemd. I wonder how Debian and Ubuntu will manage this.
> I suspect systemd soon or later will will come. I don't welcome this
> step, but I guess it will happen. As the case may be, it doesn't make
> sense, at least for GNOME users, to learn how to use upstart.
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00427.html
>
> There's a flame war regarding to systemd on Arch General Mailing List.
> Unfortunately it's not fun to read it, but sometimes I read it and
> between all that flame there's useful information.
>
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2012-August/date.html

If Ubuntu's sticking to upstart (pretty much a certainty), they'll
figure out a way to run upstart and GNOME; and run consolekit and udev
without systemd. Debian'll have to do the same if it chooses to
default to upstart (very unlikely, but you never know...)

>From a sysadmin point of view, unless you want to write upstart jobs,
there nothing much to learn. You can use sysvinit's "service <daemon>
{stop|start|restart}" - or upstart's "{stop|start|restart} <daemon>".

I've been following the systemd threads on the Arch mailing lists
since you pointed to them. What I find interesting is that, on the
users' list, people are still hyper-ventilating about systemd and
Lennart Poettering and on the developers' list a decision's been made
to install systemd by default (not default to systemd; not yet
anyway). Nuts! :)