Re: How to find the lost 'installed application' - OpenOffice.org Impress

2012/8/29, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:41:52 +0800, Ryan Duan wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Camaleón!
>
> You're welcome but please, keep your replies at the bottom :-)

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> sm01@stt008:~$ whereis ooimpress
>>> ooimpress: /usr/bin/ooimpress /usr/share/man/man1/ooimpress.1.gz
>>>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> If file association is what fails, you can manaully instruct your DE
>>> (GNOME?) for opening the files (e.g., ".odp" and ".ppt") with OOo
>>> Impress.
>
>>     To manually create file association or create menu entry is not my
>> goal. I know it can solve the cannot-open-problem, but what I really
>> want to know is where GNOME configures the file associations and menu
>> entries, why it cannot list OOo Impress in the "installed applications"
>> list.
>
> In GNOME2 you can edit the menu using Alacarte (right-click over the main
> menu button and select "Menu edit". From there you can add/rename/remove
> the desired entries.
>
> This can be also done manually by creating the corresponding ".desktop"
> file in "/usr/share/applications/ooo-impress.desktop" (this is a system
> wide entry available for all your system users).

Camaleón, thank you for your heuristic answer! I have found the root
reason to the problem.
    I thought some user local .desktop files shadowed the one in
/usr/share/applications/.  Finally, I found it:
~/.local/share/applications/openoffice.org-impress.desktop.  This file
was generated from the system-wide one in /usr/share/applications/ as
the template.  I compared the two files and saw the line order was
different, further more, the problem was due to the additional entry
"Hidden=true"!  After I deleted this entry, everything was fine.
Removing the whole file also works.  I don't have any idea why the
"Hidden=true" entry was generated, but it doesn't matter now.
    Thank you again!

Best wishes,
Ryan