Re: Obtaining a Newer Kernel

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 15:31 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 19:39:42 -0400
> Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:

> > Experimental kernels are probably better than downloading the source
> > from kernel.org and compiling it. At least some attempt is made to make
> > it work in the Debian ecosystem.
>
> As Stan points out in another message in this thread, there's not much
> in the way of changes between vanilla and Debian kernels, and I don't
> think there will generally be any problem at all in running vanilla
> ones in the Debian ecosystem. I generally do, and rarely, if ever,
> experience problems due to a vanilla - Debian incompatibility.

I often build vanilla + patch-rt. Usually I copy the Debian's default
kernel config, change some settings to fit to rt needs and then run
"make oldconfig". If the OP doesn't need a patch, then copying the
default kernel config and simply running "make oldconfig" should work
without issues. IIRC the OP needs a kernel 3.5, in VBox I run Fedora 17
with a kernel 3.5.2 and it seems to be stable. I can't imagine why a
kernel 3.5 should cause issues for Debian.

Regards,
Ralf