Re: Obtaining a Newer Kernel

On 26/08/12 05:51 PM, Alex Robbins wrote:
I am running Debian testing, which currently has kernel 3.2.23-1, same as unstable. experimental has 3.5.something. I am looking to run kernel version 3.3 or higher.

As I understand it, there are 2 ways to go about this. I could build from the kernel.org source, or I could install from unstable. Which is more likely to yield better results, as far as stability, security, etc.? If I were to go with a vanilla kernel, would it be best to just go with 3.3, or would it make sense to take 3.5?

I'm confused. You said that unstable has the same version as testing, so installing from SID wouldn't get you anything.

If you are looking for stability and security, stay with stable. If you NEED something newer that is still reasonably stable, go with testing and accept the tradeoffs that implies.

Going with anything newer is not compatible with stable and secure. Stuff that hasn't made it into testing yet is NOT recommended except for experimentation.

Experimental kernels are probably better than downloading the source from kernel.org and compiling it. At least some attempt is made to make it work in the Debian ecosystem.