Re: Obtaining a Newer Kernel

On 8/26/2012 7:44 PM, Alex Robbins wrote:

> need something more recent than testing

Why?  IIRC you previously mentioned you *needed* 3.3 or higher.  Can you
tell use what feature it is you need that was introduced in 3.3?

> not asking which of the above options is stable and secure (I know it
> is neither),

Correct.  It's a kernel, not an entire distro.  Debian changes very
little, if any, kernel code, for its distributed kernels.  As with any
distro, Debian sets various configuration options and excludes certain
kernel features from its kernels, such as all the non-free bits of the
vanilla source.  Debian makes no changes to the vanilla kernel that make
it more or less stable or secure.  Note that the Debian kernel team is
one of the largest contributors to upstream source.  Thus when Debian
pulls vanilla source into experimental, they're receiving all of their
own recent kernel patches to the stable branch.

> but which will most likely "yield better results"; in other words, which
> would
> generally be more stable and more secure.

The answer is again neither for the reasons I stated above.  These are
kernels, not applications.

Again, I'm curious as to what 3.3+ kernel feature it is you require.

--
Stan