Re: Obtaining a Newer Kernel

On 08/26/2012 06:39 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
I'm confused. You said that unstable has the same version as testing, so installing from SID wouldn't get you anything.
You're right, it wouldn't. I misspoke. I meant to say, "or I could install
from *experimental*"
If you are looking for stability and security, stay with stable. If you NEED something newer that is still reasonably stable, go with testing and accept the tradeoffs that implies. Going with anything newer is not compatible with stable and secure. Stuff that hasn't made it into testing yet is NOT recommended except for experimentation.
Yes, I have always stayed with testing, as it provides a blend of
stability/security and recentness that has been perfect for me. However, I do need something more recent than testing (and, as is the case, unstable). So I'm not asking which of the above options is stable and secure (I know it is neither), but which will most likely "yield better results"; in other words, which would
generally be more stable and more secure.

Experimental kernels are probably better than downloading the source from kernel.org and compiling it. At least some attempt is made to make it work in the Debian ecosystem.
Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of line wrapping in my last message.