Re: Obtaining a Newer Kernel

On 27/08/12 05:30, lina wrote:
On Monday 27,August,2012 11:13 AM, Alex Robbins wrote:
On 08/26/2012 09:48 PM, Charles Kroeger wrote:
or you could install: linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-amd64 this would
insure you always had the latest kernel and headers. Your architecture
may be different so you might want to look to that in regard to my
examples.
This does not at all answer my question.  (And I already have
linux-image-amd64
installed.)
The first paragraph of the original email:
I am running Debian testing, which currently has kernel 3.2.23-1, same as
unstable.  experimental has 3.5.something.  I am looking to run kernel
version
3.3 or higher.

Here is what I did,

1] Download the latest stable from kernel.org

2] copy old .config from currently working one

Here is one link, recommended by someone from list to me before.

http://andreas.goelzer.de/kernel-config-based-on-lsmod-output

and then run configure and make-kpkg

more precisely:

make oldconfig
make-kpkg ...

Frankly speaking, in the past several kernel I tried, even though I do
believe it's built very blindly, but overall it works. For the security
reason you concerned, I don't know, but stability are very well.

Best regards,