Re: Obtaining a Newer Kernel

Charles Kroeger <ckrogrr@frankensteinface.com> writes:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 00:00:01 +0200
> Alex Robbins <alexdotrobbins@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, there are 2 ways to go about this.  I could build
>> from the kernel.org source, or I could install from unstable.
>
> or you could install:
>
> linux-headers-amd64
>
> linux-image-amd64
>
> this would insure you always had the latest kernel and headers.
>
> Your architecture may be different so you might want to look to that in regard to
> my examples.

That will get him the latest kernel for his particular distribution
("testing", "wheezy", etc).  The current kernel for either testing or
unstable is 3.2; the current for experimental is 3.4; the current at
kernel.org is 3.5.

So far as I can tell, he can install from experimental to get 3.4, or
build from source to get 3.5 (or build from source to get a 3.6 release
candidate).

I used to build all my own kernels, but have gotten lazier and lazier.
I missed exactly what's been added in the latest kernels that he wants;
unless there's something he explicitly needs from something later I'd
stick with testing (which, in my experience, has always been
rock-solid); I used to run unstable, but got burned by a few updates
that left me unbootable.

Of course, if his actual goal is to be a guinea pig, experimental is the
way to go!