Re: Power Issue

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 15:24:32 -0700, cletusjenkins wrote:

> ---- On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:24:12 -0700 Camaleón  wrote ----
>
>>On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:47:24 -0700, cletusjenkins wrote:
>>
>>> I have a problem with my laptop. When the battery runs down the system
>>> won't shut down automatically. I am running stable with gnome. hanks.
>>
>>Does it work if you manually configure an "on lid close event →
>>shutdown" and then close the lid of your laptop or this fails in the
>>same way?
>>
>>It can be some sort of bug from gnome-power-manager. Wow, there are
>>indeed many bugs reported :-O
>>
>>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=gnome-power-manager
>>
>>I would take a carefully read on those that are related to your problem
>>and see if there's any bypass that can work for you :-?
>
> I didn't think of that test. I tried it and it does indeed shutdown.

Mmm... that's curious. Maybe is that gnome-power-manager has problems for
detecting the exact values of battery levels and thus not triggering the
associated event.

Do you receive any warning from the applet when battery levels are less
than 5%?

> I'll check out the bugs you mentioned. I don't see an option that lets
> you specify when to shutdown in the power manager gui, it just says
> "critically low". Is there a file I can manually set it to shutdown
> sooner maybe my battery suddenly dies? I've watched it and it does not
> seem to even start shutting down before the power dies.

There's a pletora of keys in GConf under "/apps/gnome-power-manager" but
can't tell you what to tweak for this case. Under "general" there are
some options it may help, for instance (this is from a lenny system so
YMMV):

[x] debug

Enabling this key it would help with the diagnose, you can toggle "on"
only for getting more verbose logs but don't forget to disable after that.

[ ] use_time_for_policy

I don't know what this key exactly does but my guess is that by disabling
you will get a power policy based on the amount (percentage) of battery
available instead the remaining time.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón