Power Issue

I have a problem with my laptop. When the battery runs down the system won't shut down automatically. I am running stable with gnome. The power manager detects the battery and reports the charge level correctly. I have the options setup such that it should shutdown when "battery is critically low" (and have clicked to make that the default settings for the entire system). I have checked that the bios doesn't have any power options disabled, etc, but still it fails to shutdown. I've watched it just sit there and die once the spice stops flowing, so I know it isn't dying while a shutdown is in progress. (I am logged in as well). Thanks.

-- clet
debian is my main squeeze