Re: Dual-Monitor help

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:22:26 -0500, Nelson Green wrote:

(...)

>> Some unordered/random/quick thoughts...
>>
>> 1/ There seems to be a problem with the driver. As you are using
>> Squeeze with nvidia cards, the driver to load should be either
>> "nouveau" or "nv" but no "fbdev". My will guess is that the VGA cards
>> are too new for Squeeze's xserver Xorg packages, maybe you need to
>> update these or that simply KMS is having some sort of problem to be
>> loaded.
>>
>> 2/ You can also try the closed source nvidia package which usually
>> works very well. More info about your options can be found here:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/
>>
>> 3/ For setting up Xorg with dual cards (that is, two physical devices
>> plugged) and also configuring an extended desktop, you may also need to
>> manually adjust your xorg.conf file settings. Some hints here:
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#More_than_one_graphics_card
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Multiple_monitors
>>

> Thanks Camaleón,
>
> I am trying to stay away from anything closed source,

That's doable but what if your nvidia cards are still not (well)
supported by nouveau?

> and I believe that I have the latest nouveau drivers installed as I am
> running a newly compiled 3.5.1 kernel.

That's fine as long as your xserver Xorg also supports the cards. And it
seems you cards pertain to those codenamed "NVC0" and more specifically
to "NVC1 (GF108)", there's more info about their status here:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames#NVC0

Also, consider using a backported kernel (with xorg and mesa) instead a
self-compiled one.

> I would assume the tarball contained the latest drivers. lsmod shows no
> fb anything. But you have pointed out a clue that I overlooked.

Well, given the logs you sent there's no trace about "nouveau" drivers
being used (they're loaded but somehow fail to reclaim the cards) :-?

> I will certainly check out the links. I will update y'all with the
> results, but I may have to put this off until middle of next week. We
> are doing beta-testing of some apps here and things are starting to get
> hectic.

I would center first in getting the correct driver to be loaded and then
go with the dual card setup. Good luck then and report back the
results :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón